The Legacy of Allen Ginsberg
In my undergrad English Department the Beats were mentioned in a survey course I took, in 1995, on Postmodernism, and the writers mentioned were Allen Ginsberg, for “Howl,” and Jack Kerouac, for On the Road. These two had helped create a new approach to literature. Their writing was intentionally Raw (capital “R”) and cut to the bone, doing away with irony and artifice. These were writers on the go: travelling nonstop from coast-to-coast; they were drug users and the preamble to hippiedom; the Beats were hustlers (Burroughs and Herbert Huncke), and they made it their task to describe life as it was experienced: no more politeness, no more niceties, just “direct expression.”
The Professor explained that the Beat movement’s innovations made the New Journalism possible (Tom Wolfe, Hunter Thompson, Norman Mailer), which in turn opened the door for all sorts of weirdness, including what is now called Postmodernism: an approach to literature focusing on meta-narratives, which relates to the deconstruction of that which was once agreed upon as conventional, consensual, and real; Postwar writers reveled in alternate scenarios, forms and readings that in turn worked to displace and disrupt reality. This is what the Beats accomplished: they gave us the gritty, down in the gutter, deviant and defiant version that was previously considered untoward and not fit for consumption. That this coincided with the invent of television made their reach pervasive and they were eventually, like the hippies after, coopted into the mainstream.
I read the Beat Writers in my twenties. I read quite a bit about the early days: of Allen Ginsberg, Jack Kerouac, William Burroughs and their cohorts. I took Ginsberg to be the submissive Beat. The guy who took the fall for his friends, who spent time in an asylum, who grew up overshadowed, the son of a poet in suburban New Jersey. Ginsberg wrote “Howl;” he learned his craft from William Carlos Williams; he was known for connecting poets, artists and critics. Some critics hold Ginsberg’s poetry up as akin to the great Bardic criers of centuries past, as if Ginsberg ‘spoke for the tribe,’ in the way W.B. Yeats spoke for the Irish, or Walt Whitman sang the prospects of America. I have always wondered at the enthusiasm some people have, particularly poets and critics, for Allen Ginsberg.
I do not sense much feeling in Ginsberg’s poetry. I think this lack of feeling reflects a shallow and pernicious personal life (more on this later). I would argue that some of it has become so cliched as to read like refrigerator art. Here is an example of what I mean (some lines of poems, other direct quotes):
“Follow your inner moonlight; don't hide the madness. You say what you want to say when you don't care who's listening.”
And more:
“I don’t think there is any truth. There are only points of view.”
And:
“To gain your own voice, forget about having it heard. Become a saint of your own province and your own consciousness.”
And lastly:
“The weight of the world/ is love./ Under the burden/ of solitude/ under the burden/ of dissatisfaction/ the weight/ the weight we carry/ is love.”
I actually like this one; the idea is echoed by a line and theme from a much better poem, from The Book of Nightmares, entitled, “Little sleep’s-head sprouting hair in the moonlight” by Galway Kinnell, who speaks to his newborn daughter of how he will teach her to praise the world:
...I think
you think
I will never die, I think I exude
to you the permanence of smoke or stars,
even as
my broken arms heal themselves around you.
...
Little sleep’s-head sprouting hair in the moonlight,
when I come back
we will go out together,
we will walk out together among
the ten thousand things,
each scratched too late with such knowledge, the wages
of dying is love. (my italics)
I like what Kinnell does with the singular “is” in correspondence with the plural noun “wages”: he makes the word, “love,” a plurality and contrasts it with “wages,” which become singular. Love does a lot more than money ever will.
Ginsberg’s line comes from a poem called “Song” which goes on to define, again and again, love as the burden of life, and it ends with the lines,
“yes, yes,/ that's what/ I wanted,/ I always wanted,/ I always wanted,// to return/ to the body/ where I was born.”
This is a sentiment I can relate to! But it seems so cliché, at the present moment, as to be bereft of any real meaning. Further still, it rings of the privilege of defeatism, both of which are mirrored later in Ginsberg’s life in his drug use, and as I will elaborate later, his defilement of innocence. He preyed on teenage boys.
Finally, whereas Ginsberg claims he had an awakening at age seventeen when he met Kerouac and Burroughs: “I think it was when I ran into Kerouac and Burroughs – when I was 17 – that I realized I was talking through an empty skull… I wasn’t thinking my own thoughts or saying my own thoughts,” his originality existed in part in his ability to market himself and his comrades as “representative” Romantics—in the Emersonian sense—in the guise of avant garde hipsters. Here was a new set of poets and thinkers representing a generation of forlorn and angst filled kids, who had nothing but time and money and all the while subconsciously (or consciously) attempted to ‘possess’ the mother, in the Freudian sense, which is singularly evidenced in their various addictions (Ginsberg’s many sorts, Burroughs a lifetime heroin addict, Kerouac an alcoholic).
The Romantic poets (Wordsworth, Coleridge, Shelley, Byron etc.), too, wanted a re-union with Nature, a merging of ‘self’ and ‘other.’ The Beats, and Ginsberg, in particular, because he was the force behind getting out ‘the word’ and this new movement, did their part to foment in society language not altogether original in conception and, in the end, drained of meaning by technological advancements that saturated society with such cliché announcements as “follow your inner moonlight.” While I would not disparage any language that allows one to cope in a vastly disorienting world, words lose their meaning at a certain point. The one thing the language of the Beats does is hew to a correctness that is indefatigably, and even at times in opposition to reason, politically Left.
Where Ginsberg’s words, his poetic lines, lack feeling, they sound a bit like proclamations posted on a townhall doorway in any University town, particularly one notorious for progressive politics. Ginsberg has it all figured out:
“The war is language,
language abused
for Advertisement,
language used
like magic for power on the planet.”
Here is where Ginsberg’s poetry fails: his words exist almost entirely in the political realm, and therefore leave no space for the personal or the tragic. In fact, because “the war is language,” Ginsberg gives himself a pass. Writing about the personal or tragic would be impossible in the present climate. Ginsberg, it seems to me, fails to address in his own life what Faulkner famously characterized as the only subject worth addressing: “the problems of the human heart in conflict with itself….”
“(The contemporary writer) writes not of love but of lust, of defeats in which nobody loses anything of value, of victories without hope and, worst of all, without pity or compassion. His griefs grieve on no universal bones, leaving no scars. He writes not of the heart but of the glands.”
Rereading “Howl” I am struck by the subject matter: the depraved hipster craving a fix. Ginsberg has little compassion for the economic system to which he attributes the problems his poem addresses. Of course, Ginsberg was only able to write his poetry, to avoid work, and to travel the world, because of a postwar boom unparalleled in the country’s history. Resources were cheap. Everything was cheap. The Beats do not happen in any other context.
“Ashcans and unobtainable dollars! Children screaming under the stairways! Boys sobbing in armies! Old men weeping in the parks!Moloch! Moloch! Nightmare of Moloch! Moloch the loveless! Mental Moloch! Moloch the heavy judger of men!Moloch the incomprehensible prison! Moloch the crossbone soulless jailhouse and Congress of sorrows! Moloch whose buildings are judgment! Moloch the vast stone of war! Moloch the stunned governments!Moloch whose mind is pure machinery! Moloch whose blood is running money! Moloch whose fingers are ten armies! Moloch whose breast is a cannibal dynamo! Moloch whose ear is a smoking tomb!Moloch whose eyes are a thousand blind windows! Moloch whose skyscrapers stand in the long streets like endless Jehovahs! Moloch whose factories dream and croak in the fog! Moloch whose smoke-stacks and antennae crown the cities!Moloch whose love is endless oil and stone! Moloch whose soul is electricity and banks! Moloch whose poverty is the specter of genius! Moloch whose fate is a cloud of sexless hydrogen! Moloch whose name is the Mind!”
“Athens is the birthplace of Western thought and Jerusalem is the city of revelation. Athens teaches us how to think, Jerusalem demands our obedience.The Western humanist values and intellectual assets we are now nostalgic for came from Athens: democracy, tolerance, freedom of speech, philosophy, Agora, science, ethics, poesis and the tragedy. Jerusalem gave us laws, mitzvoth, regimes of prescribed and proscribed behavior. Athens teaches us how to think ethically: in Jerusalem, ethics are replaced by the Ten Commandments; rules to obey. Jerusalem is not solely a ‘Jewish domain.’ The Jerusalemization of our universe is apparent in every corner of society: from pop culture, to the work place, to academia and beyond. It is the tyranny of correctness adopted by the new Left and it is at least as infectious within right identitarianism.”





No comments:
Post a Comment