Thursday, April 15, 2021

I taught a seminar recently which included a former Associate Dean of the Law School and she insisted, when I implied otherwise, that Steve Bannon was absolutely not worth listening to. "Good fences make good neighbors" she said, with disdain, quoting a famous poem by Robert Frost. I had to shake my head and mutter, "I think he was being ironic." But that is where we are in the world. It is my honest belief that if people of opposing views do not listen to one another things will only get worse. "So it goes..."

I had just seen the Errol Morris documentary, "American Dharma," about Bannon and thought it was a pretty decent film. He is intelligent, entertaining and speaks a version of the truth in ways most political figures at that level never do. To claims he is a 'fascist' he counters that he is going after voters (Bannon was instrumental in Trump's ascent in 2016) who would otherwise start a revolution. I thought him perhaps a bit unstable and insecure. Sort of a creep. So what? 

Thus, today when I saw a link on twitter for an interview Bannon did on his podcast of the Feminist PhD and former Democratic political operative, Naomi Wolf, I tuned in. I recommend the interview. I am always thrilled when people with what seem like polar opposite views sit and talk. I dare you to take a listen!


While this was happening, from somewhere in the village’s depths, I began hearing loud drumming, as if a festival was underway. I began to listen to Bannon and Wolf. Bannon told Wolf she could call him anything she wanted, except “late for dinner” and later made a slip, calling her 'Naomi Gates.' He seemed a bit uncomfortable when she named the 'evil behind the curtain.' He is after all rather close to that power.

As the drumming grew closer, I pressed pause and went out front to see what the commotion was. I saw a large group, of maybe 75 people, all wearing blue T-Shirts emblazoned with the political logo PAN on the front, and the group had stopped in front of my hotel, men blowing whistles, kids passing out fliers, and lots of loud drumming. 

These were people supporting a local politician. Would the revolution Bannon refers to in Morris' movie look this way? In no way could I imagine that to be the case. 


At what I thought was his request, I had taken a picture of Romero, a man I met walking to the lake the other day. Then I asked him if he would take a picture of me. He turned the camera on himself and shot this selfie! I realized he is what would be called in the business "moderately" disabled. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment