Saturday, June 19, 2021

 2 Poems:

Mitla



Cortes’ nightmare and the Moorish dome 

stained cochineal: drunken duende-like 


fallen fruit, underworld gatekeepers

a church alongside a site named Mitla;


I came to see what Spain brought the New World

when it brought the pomegranate and the horse.


I came to explore its primacy


its flourish and fragrant past. Looking

upon a pomegranate beneath its tree


I saw a drunken man passed out at my feet

who muttered hola! as if I were a portent


I made my way around him, as if he were  


a portent, and walked past him onto that 

not too busy street on that July day


which was warmth mingled with dry breeze.


I’d crossed along a cactus fence

and cinder huts and loom filled halls


and a pomegranate tree, my

rucksack and lonely planet guide,


to ticket taker and temple ruins

to a site Zapotecs call place of death


where walls spread lines in geometric 

intricacy a variegate frieze


interlocking patterns of hewn stone

underworld duende-like.


Passed on empty streets a drunken man.


Town on blocks of tapestry wove 

Arabesque.  Sunlight willing it to speak.  


Abalone



It sits like an elephant’s ear

eavesdrops on everything my roll-top says


feels like the backside of a Grey Whale

embossed inside a batter of magic


its inner-sheen like oil-slicked 

bay-water that laps seawall stone.


It sits on my desk to remind me


an emblem of life.  


Crazy  saltwater sea-shell holding sweet grass– 

grey Mono sage– a planetary ridge 


the mottled care of rock-strewn ages.


Abalone button, abalone earring, 

trinket coin that travelled 


from Puget Sound to Eire Lake, 

down the Huron trail, up that Great Divide, 


carried by Aboriginal-Americans 

on Missouri River trade routes 


connecting culture: Crow, Shoshone, 

Assiniboine, Plains Apache, Lakota Sioux, 

Arapaho and Pawnee.


Abalone.  The ear shell, sea ear, muttonfish,

mutton-shell, ormen, sea snail.  


All of the mollusk family

an image of androgyny.


It’s iridescent inside surface 

bears a mantle cleft


impresses a groove, as in the red abalone, 

where a row of respiratory apertures for venting water 


also release egg and sperm.





No comments:

Post a Comment